Kitchen Safety

The kitchen is often one of the busiest and most dangerous places in the home. Young children are at the greatest risk for injury. 65% of all residential fire calls are related to the kitchen. More injuries occur in the kitchen than any other room in your home. Here are some simple safety tips to help keep your kitchen safe:
  • Turn handles inward when using pots and pans on the stove.
  • Place hot dishes on center of table or counter, not close to the edge.
  • Clear toys and other objects away to prevent fall injuries
  • Do no store snack foods above the stove.  This may encourage climbing.
  • Do no allow electrical cords to dangle over the edge of counter or table.
  • Keep items that catch fire easily away from stove, toasters and hot plates.
  • Use only appliances which have a laboratory testing label, i.e.; UL or FM.
  • Do not over load electrical outlets.
  • Unplug electrical appliances when not in use.
  • Keep stoves clean and free of grease and oil.
  • When cooking, wear tight fitting clothing or shirts with short sleeves.
  • Do not leave food unattended on the stove.
  • Clean vent filters regularly.
Microwaves
  • Follow cooking directions on food packages.
  • When food is cooked, stir and let sit for a few minutes. This can prevent burns to the lips and mouth.
  • Popcorn can burn easily in a microwave. Follow package directions carefully.
  • Do not cook food in metal containers. It may cause a fire. If a fire starts, close the door and unplug the cord.

Barbecue Grills
Every year people using barbecue grills start hundreds of fires. Damage can be extensive. Careless use of barbecues cost you millions of dollar and often, tragically, destroys more than property.

In single family residences, move the barbecue grill out from under patio covers. If using charcoal grills do not use gasoline as a starter fuel, use charcoal light fuel only. Do not add more fuel after the coals have already been lit.

Most importantly keep children away from the grill to avoid them knocking it over or burning themselves.

In Case of A Fire
Many fires that start in the kitchen are caused by overheated grease or oil.

  • Grease fires are put out by smothering the fire; that means not letting air get to the fire.
  • Cover the pan or fryer with a tight fitting lid. Slide the lid over the fire from the side. Turn the appliance off.
  • Do not pour water onto a grease fire, it will make the fire worse.
  • Do not carry the burning pan or fryer to the kitchen sink or outdoors.
  • Grease fires can be put out with a fire extinguisher.
  • Provide a minimum 2A10BC multi-purpose fire extinguisher for your kitchen. Locate the extinguisher in a visible, accessible area. Read the instructions provided on the extinguisher on it proper and safe use.
  • If the fire spreads rapidly, call the fire department at 9-1-1.

Burns, Scalds

The most common injury in the kitchen are burns and scalds.  To treat a burn:

  • Cool a burn/scald with cool running water.  Get medical attention immediately if burn area is charred, red and blistered.
  • Do not put butter, ointments or other types of creams or liquids on the burn.  These can cause infections.

Visiting Dixon - Find a great place to staymap-teaser

How Downtown Dixon Has Changed Since 2000

 

City Changes 1 City Changes 2
City Changes 3 City Changes 4