- Avoid using the telephones or other electrical appliances
- Do not take a bath or shower
- Seek shelter inside a sturdy building or a hard top automobile with the windows up
- If you are boating or swimming, get out of the water immediately and move to a safe shelter away from the water
- If you are in a wooded area, seek shelter under a thick growth of relatively small trees
- Avoid isolated trees or other tall objects, bodies of water, sheds, fences, convertible automobiles, tractors and motorcycles
- If you feel your hair standing on end, squat down with your head between your knees. Do not lie flat!