The City of Dixon has taken an active role in maintaining the quality of the local environment for more than 70 years. since 1930, the city has provided wastewater collection and treatment for its citizens. As the population has grown and state and federal regulations have evolved, the city has continued to update and improve its collection and treatment system.
The improvements to the wastewater treatment facility in 2000 allowed the City of Dixon to continue the stewardship of the local environment. "Clean Water for the New Millennium" will promote growth in the city for the next 20 years. The following is a timeline of improvements to the Dixon Wastewater system.
- Tim Stover, Foreman
- Ed Ryan, Maintenance Specialist
- Jim Miller, Maintenance Specialist
Timeline of Improvements
|1930||Original collection and treatment facility is built.|
|1962||New wastewater treatment plant is constructed. Plant processes include:
|1972||Chlorine contact tank and building added for disinfection of final effluent as required by the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency (IPEA).|
|1985||New final clarifier, return sludge pumps and stand-by generator added.|
|1992||Swissville sanitary and storm sewer improvements.|
|1993||Southside trunk sewer construction.|
|1994||River Street sanitary sewer replacement from Sheridan Ave. to Harrison Avd. 2,729 lineal feet of 30" diameter sanitary sewer. This project reduced infiltration into the collection system by 500,000 gallons/day.|
|2000||New wastewater treatment facility constructed to comply with the state and federal regulations. Northside interceptor installed from Reynoldswood Lift Station on the north bank of the Rock River to the new wastewater treatment facility which eliminated the Reynoldswood pumping station. (1,000 lineal feet of 30" diameter sewer.)|
Screw Pump Rehabilitation and Southside Flow Meter Project:
The Wastewater Treatment Facility has two- (2) wastewater screw pumps located at the head works of the Facility. The purpose of the pumps is to lift all of the incoming wastewater into the Facility for treatment. The pumps are rated at 18 million gallons a day each (MGD), they are 75' long, 9' in diameter and raise the raw sewage 40'. When the pumps were installed in 2002 they were the longest screw pumps in North America.
The pumps are made from steel and are coated to protect the metal. The pumps run 7/24/365 a year and are in a very harsh environment, which requires them to be recoated every 8 to 10 years.
The scope of the project included; Screw Pump sand blast and painting, influent channel cleaning, slide gate repair, slide gate actuator installation, Southside flow meter installation, lower bearing assembly replacement, deflecting plate replacement, upper bearing and coupling inspection, bypass pumping.
East River Street Trunk Sewer Replacement Project:
Crawford Avenue to Ravine Avenue
Replace 2,838 lineal feet of sanitary sewer and installed 7 new sanitary manholes.