The Dixon Public Library provides free access to the internet and other computer applications. The library makes computers and wifi access available whenever we are open. Use of our computing services is subject to the following policies adopted by the Board of Trustees.
- Card holders 18 years of age or older may use the computers.
- Card holders between the ages of 14 and 18 must have an additional signed parental release on file in order to access the internet in the adult library.
- Children under the age of 14 may access the internet independently but may only use the computers in the youth library. A signed parental permission form is required.
- Children under the age of 9 must have a parent or guardian present while using the internet. A signed parental permission form is required.
- Patrons are limited to 90 minutes of computer use per day.
- Computers automatically shut down 15 minutes before closing.
- Patrons may not save personal files or applications to the library computers. Files should be saved to a USB storage device which can be purchased at the front desk.
- Headphones are available in the youth library for audio access. In the adult library earbuds may be purchased.
The Dixon Public Library is committed to providing an environment appropriate for its customers and employees. Therefore, a patron must:
- Respect intellectual property by only downloading information or files with proper permission.
- Respect the privacy of others.
- Not use Dixon Public Library computers for any unauthorized, illegal, or unethical purpose.
- Not distribute unsolicited advertising.
The Library reserves the right to take appropriate action to ensure compliance with these procedures.
Users should be aware that the Internet is not a secure medium and that third parties may be able to obtain information regarding users' activities. However, the Dixon Public Library will not release information on the use of specific Internet resources by members of the public except as required by law or necessary for the proper operation of the Library.
The Dixon Public Library cannot guarantee the validity or accuracy of information found on the Internet. Library patrons are advised, as with all library materials, to exercise judgment and discrimination when evaluating the usefulness and reliability of material found on the Internet.
Although many potentially valuable sources of information are located throughout the Internet, some resources and destinations contain material that some patrons may find offensive or inappropriate for children. There are sites that are inappropriate for use or viewing in a public setting. The library cannot control the content of sources found on the Internet. Therefore, patrons must evaluate the validity and desirability of the information found. The Library is not responsible for Internet content, for changes in content of the sources to which the Library Web Page links, or for the content of sources accessed through secondary links.
Although Dixon Public Library utilizes virus-checking software, this is not a guarantee that everything will be completely protected from viruses. Software downloaded from the Internet may contain a virus. The Dixon Public Library is not responsible for any loss or damage to personal disks when downloading, or to a user's own computer. Further, the Library is not responsible for any loss of data, damage, or liability that may occur from a patron's use of the Dixon Public Library's computers.
Violations of the Dixon Public Library Policy and Procedures may result in suspension or loss of privileges to use computer resources at the Library. Any illegal activity involving the use of the Library's computers, including the Internet, will be subject to prosecution by the appropriate authorities. In addition, patrons shall agree to hold harmless, indemnify, and unconditionally reimburse the Dixon Public Library for any damage, liability, costs, claims, or expenses that the Dixon Public Library may incur that arises in any manner from any use or misuse of the Internet access by a patron.
The full internet and computer use policy is available. The Dixon Public Library Board of Trustees may periodically revise this policy.
Revised October 26th, 2017.